For a simple description, this is a parantha from Agra, hence Agra Parantha. But we don’t do small descriptions here. This is a sumptuous and rich dish made in pure ghee. A while back, we went on a tour to Delhi and Agra. While the Taj Mahal is the most remarkable thing in Agra, this is no less. For people who like to eat (am assuming everyone here), this is a treat. It was so delicious that I immediately knew I was going to make this at home as well.
The recipe am going to share today uses no maida, and is made with just wheat. We have our reservations around maida, and try to avoid it as much as possible. Other than that, this parantha is sort of fried in ghee. So, I limit the number of paranthas I make to 3-4 at the most. It has a very delicious potato and paneer filling. The dough part of the parantha gets really crispy, and the filling stays really soft. It is great to bite into, and experience the flavours bursting in your mouth. It is also quite quick and easy to make, and all ingredients are available easily. Serve it hot with an extra dollop of butter on top, with curd or pickle. Alternatively, if you feel like frying the parantha is not your thing, you can make it just like a normal parantha. This is what I have done in this recipe. It will still taste great.
This recipe was adapted from NDTV’s website.
For Preparing the Dough
- 1 Cup Wheat Flour Atta in Hindi
- 1 tsp Salt for dough
- 2 Tsp Oil for kneading
- Water for kneading the dough
- 3 Nos Medium sized potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1/2 Cup Green Peas
- 1/2 Cup Crumbled Cottage Cheese Paneer in Hindi
- Salt as required
- 1/2 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Black pepper crushed
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin powder
- 1 No Green chilli Finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger Finely chopped
- Ghee Sufficient quantity
- Boil 3 medium sized potatoes and keep it ready.
- Take 1 cup of wheat flour. Add salt and oil.
- Knead it to a dough adding water and rest it for 20 minutes.
- Peel the skin from potatoes and mash them.
- Add green peas and crumbled paneer.
- Add finely chopped onions.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder, pepper powder, chilli powder, green chilli, chopped ginger and required salt. Mix all of this, and keep it aside.
- Take a lemon sized portion of the dough roll it into a circle.
- Place a handful of the potato masala mixture and close the rolled dough.
- Press it, and roll it into a larger circle.
- Heat a tawa and apply little ghee and place the roti on the hot tawa.
- Spread ghee on the roti and cook. After a minute or two change the side apply ghee and cook.
- Cook the roti with sufficient ghee on the tawa till the roti turns brown from both the sides. Your delicious Agra Paratha is ready to be served.