Sevai (not to be confused with semiya) are thin white strands typically made of rice. Coconut sevai is sevai that is cooked with grated coconut. It is flavoured with delightful coconut and tastes great for a relaxed meal. Coming to sevai, I have already shared my recipe for Pepper sevai. Sevai is available ready made (advertised instant sevai) from brands like Concord and 777. However, if you wish you can also make sevai at home (check out Homemade Sevai recipe by Vidhya’s Homecoming). I prefer getting instant sevai, as making it at home from scratch is a little tedious for me. But not to worry, the instant sevai works just as well, if not better.
My recipe for coconut sevai is very quick and easy. It is ideal for a busy or tiring day when you just want to whip something up really quickly. It is perfect for a light dinner or a hearty breakfast. And since it is quite flavourful, we can have it without any side dish. Although I prefer to have it with a simple kadi. Either way, this dish does not disappoint. I often make this along with pepper or lemon sevai, and that provides a nice balance of flavour among the entire meal.
COCONUT SEVAI (THENGAI SEVAI)
- 200 gms Instant rice sevai
- 1 Cup Coconut
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 2 Green chillies
- Few Curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- Salt To taste
- Take the sevai in a vessel. Pour boiling water over the sevai such that the sevai is completely submerged. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the water completely and keep the sevai aside.
- Heat ghee and coconut oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds, and when it splutters add urad dal. Saute till the dal turns brown.
- Add asafoetida.
- Add green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add grated coconut.
- Saute till the coconut changes color.
- Add the drained rice sevai and salt.
- Mix well and switch off the stove. Now Coconut sevai is ready.