LADIES FINGER FRY (VENDAKKAI FRY)
I am sure we have all had some kind of ladies finger fry (Vendakkai Fry) in our lives. Each one is prepared differently, and taste different. While some have thin strands of ladies finger dipped in besan and fried, others are more directly fried. However, we can all agree upon one thing. Ladies finger is a very enjoyable vegetable. I know a lot of people who hate a lot of vegetables, but love ladies finger. Especially, fried ladies finger is very tasty.
This is a very simple dish, albeit really yummy. We first prepare a spice powder using red chillies, chana dal, urad dal, pepper, sesame seeds, cumin and coconut. I am a big fan of coconut and its earthy flavour. This spice powder is prepared by sautéing the ingredients and grinding them to a coarse powder. Then we fry beautifully chopped ladies finger with this powder in a hot pan for about 5 minutes until the ladies finger is cooked fully. In all, this procedure takes about 20 minutes.
We have all heard our parents asking us to eat ladies finger to improve our mathematical skills. And sometimes we are even forced to eat it regardless of if we like it or not. I remember being repulsed by a number of ladies finger dishes just because of how we were forced to it. I have no idea whether it actually works or not. But, I do know that this ladies finger fry prepared from garden fresh ladies finger will be quite irresistible.
LADIES FINGER FRY (Vendakkai Fry)
- 250 grams Ladies Finger. chopped into small pieces Bhindi in Hindi, Vendakkai in Tamil
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
For making spice powder
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Chana dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Black sesame seeds Til in Hindi, Ellu in TAmil
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- Few curry leaves
Preparing Spice Powder
- Heat a kadai. Add red chillies, chana dal, urad dal, black pepper and cumin seeds. Dry roast till a nice aroma starts filling the room.
- Now add the sesame seeds and roast till the dal changes color.
- Add the grated coconut. Mix well and switch off the stove. Let it rest in the kadai for five minutes
- Transfer this to a blender and grind it to a coarse powder.
Preparing Ladies finger fry
- Heat oil in kadai.
- Add mustard seeds. Once they splutter, add curry leaves and urad dal. Saute till the dal turns golden brown.
- Now add the cut ladies fingers.
- Add turmeric powder. Mix well and fry till the ladies finger shrinks and gets cooked. Add salt.
- Now add the ground powder. Mix well and fry for two minutes and switch off the stove.
- Ladies finger fry is ready. Serve it hot with rice and sambhar or roti.