MANATHAKKALI KEERAI KUZHAMBU / GRAVY
Manathakkali keerai (also known as black nightshade leaves) contains a lot of medicinal properties. We have the plant in our garden, and with the current lockdown, I am experimenting various dishes with these leaves. I have already posted a soup recipe using this keerai. This is a very necessary addition to our diet, especially during the summers. With the increasing heat, these leaves help in cooling the body. This Manathakkali Keerai Kuzhambu recipe is easy and it is quite quick too. But most importantly, this is a very healthy dish full of nutrients. Serve this dish along with rice or with roti.
While preparing this Manathakkali Keerai Kuzhambu, I plucked the leaves from my garden and washed it. I pressure cooked it for 3 whistles and mashed it and kept it aside. Then I prepared the masala gravy using onion, tomato and tamarind juice. To this I added the mashed manathakkali leaves and toor dal. Now Manathakkali keerai kuzhambu is ready.
Manathakkali keerai leaves juice is used as a medicine for liver and pancreas infections.The juice can be taken for piles problem and neerkovai [urinary] problem.The juice is the best medicine for all types of skin infections and allergies. Manathakkali leaves paste is used to treat joint pain problems. Used for treating pimples and acne.Application of the juice over the whole body and leaving it for 2 to 3 hours can reduce body pain.
- 2 Cups Manathakkali leaves cleaned and washed
- 1/2 Cup Thuvar/Toor dal Thuvaram paruppu in Tamil
- 10 Onions Small, Sliced
- 1 Tomato Large, chopped
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 Red Chilly
- Few curry leaves
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- Gooseberry sized Tamarind Soaked in 1 cup of hot water
- 2 tsp Oil
- Add thuvar/toor dal in a vessel.
- Along with it, add the manathakali leaves.
- Add 3/4 cup of water, place it in a pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the pressure to settle down. Mash the leaves and dal and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds, when they start spluterring, add jeera, green chillies, red chilly, curry leaves, asafoetida and urad dal. Saute till the dal becomes light brown.
- Now, add onions and saute till they become translucent.
- Add chopped tomato and saute for a while.
- Extract the tamarind juice and add it to the kadai once the tomatoes soften. Allow it to boil.
- Add salt and cook till the raw smell of tamarind goes.
- Add the mashed thuvar dal and manathakkali leaves to the kadai. Cook till the gravy thickens.
- Now the Manathakkali kuzhambu is ready to be served. Serve it hot along with rice or roti.
- We are lucky to have this leaves from our garden, but they are also available in stores.
- While cooking the thuvar dal and manathakkali leaves in the pressure cooker add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. This will give a nice colour to the gravy later.