Musk Melon Ice Cream
Musk Melons (or Cantaloupe) are available in abundance during summers. It is very watery, and hence a great way to cool down in this heat. Generally, making ice creams at home might come off as a daunting task, but this recipe is very simple. Moreover, the recipe does not use any appliances that are not commonly found at home. The only downside to making this dish was, waiting. The inviting smell of milk mixed with the fruit was very hard to resist, but somehow I made it through and turned up with this very delicious and cool ice cream.
Musk Melon Ice Cream
- 1 Musk Melon / Cantaloupe Medium Sized
- 1/2 Ltr Milk
- 4 Tbsp All Purpose Floor
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- In a kadai/pan, roast the maida for 3-4 minutes until the raw smell leaves. Set it aside.
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottomed wide pan.
- In the meantime, cut the muskmelon to grind it to a pulp.
- In a blender, grind the cut muskmelons to a smooth pulp.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, lower the heat, and let it simmer. Mix 4-5 tbsps of the milk with the previously roasted maida and stir well such that no lumps are present.
- Now, add sugar to the milk on the stove.
- Add the muskmelon pulp to this.
- After mixing the pulp well with the milk, add the milk+maida slurry along with the vanilla essence. Stir the mixture well until it thickens. Take it off the heat, and let it cool completely.
- Blend this mixture until it reaches a smooth batter like consistency. Pour it in freezer proof boxes and freeze it for 4-8 hours.
- After that, blend the frozen mixture once again, and freeze it again for 8-12 hours. This repeated blending ensures that the ice cream is creamy, and not frozen like ice. The ice cream can be consumed now, or it can be beaten once again for a more creamier texture.
- You can also add any preferred nuts or small fruit slices for an additional crunch. This can be done after the final blending of the ice cream just before freezing it.
- Quantity of sugar can be adjusted according to the sweetness of the musk melon and your personal preferences.
- The same method can also be used for making other fruit ice creams.