PINEAPPLE FRIED RICE
Pineapple has managed to create a lot of riff-raff with pizza, but with fried rice ? Pineapple fried rice is a vastly undiscovered gem of a dish. I know, I know. A lot of you are going to be thinking, “is this even a legit dish?”, and “does this combination work?”. While this dish might be relatively new to us, it is very famous in East Asia, especially Thailand. This rice is easy to make, and it is so yummy. For a theatrical experience, you could try serving it in a pineapple.
The first thing to notice in this rice is definitely it’s rich vibrant colour. Yellow fields, dotted with greens. A yummy sweetness is provided to this dish by the pineapple. Curry Powder (see notes), and soy sauce give it a spicy flavour. The vegetables add nutrition. A wholesome and healthy meal, don’t you think ? To make this rice, we will first be cooking rice separately (it can be leftover rice too), and then making a stir fry with the vegetables. We will next add the cooked rice and season it, and lastly add the pineapples and cashews. This is actually incredibly quick, and the rice comes together in less than 15-20 minutes.
Notes on preparation
Curry Powder – I used store bought curry powder, but you can prepare it at home too incase it’s not available. In India, we don’t really get curry powder because we get all the spices that make up the powder easily. So making it at home will be a breeze. You can follow this recipe.
Rice – Leftover rice works very well for this recipe as it does not get very mushy. I did not have any basmati rice leftover though. So I boiled my rice an hour before making this dish, and kept it in the freezer until I started cooking.
Pineapple Fried Rice
- 1 Cup Diced Pineapples
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Cup Raw Basmati Rice 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 Onion Finely chopped
- 6 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Capsicum Cut into vertical pieces
- 1/2 Cup Cashews
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Peas Soaked in hot water for 5-7 minutes
- 1 Carrot Cut into vertical pieces
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- Cilantro (optional)
- Spring onions (optional)
- Red Chilli Flakes (optional)
- Cook the basmati rice with adequate water, and store it in the fridge until cooking fried rice.
Pineapple Fried Rice
- In a wok, heat 1 tbsp oil.
- Add the chopped onions, and saute till they turn translucent. This takes about 4-5 minutes.
- Once the onions turn translucent, add the remaining chopped vegetables. ie, capsicum, carrot, and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes or if you prefer much softer vegetables cook them for a little longer.
- Add in the cooked rice, and mix well.
- Add curry powder, and soy sauce.
- Mix them well into the rice.
- Add the cut pineapples, peas and cashews. Mix it well.
- Season with salt and pepper as per taste. Stir well until combined.
- Serve it in a pineapple bowl, or anything of your choice. Optionally, garnish with spring onions and cilantro.
- To give the rice a little crunch, I did not boil the peas a lot. I soaked them in boiling water for 5-7 minutes. However, if you’d prefer softer peas, cook them for 7 minutes.
- If you want more spice, add red chilli flakes.
- Optional garnish, spring onions and cilantro.