POTATO FRY (URULAI ROAST)
Potatoes are very versatile, they can be the main course, the side dish or simply a binding agent. This potato fry is the ultimate comfort food for a lot of us. It is simple and quick to make. Moreover, it requires very little effort, and there is nothing that can go wrong with it. Generally, I serve it as a side dish for pretty much anything ranging from rice to chapati.
On a cold, rainy evening if you are sipping a hot tea, you can always think of having this crispy Potato fry as a snack to supplement. This is a great combination to light up your evening.
Potatoes are low in calories — a medium-sized baked potato contains only about 110 calories. They are a good source of vitamins C and B6, manganese, phosphorus, niacin and pantothenic acid.
Talking about medicinal benefits of potato, it helps lower blood pressure. Eating potatoes may help with depression, stress. Potatoes can help in increasing the immunity on account of the Vitamin C in them. It also helps to keep the skin smooth and creamy. Potato also reduces the risk of Colon Cancer. For a complete detail of the medical benefits and nutritional value of potatoes please check this link.
- 4-5 Potato Medium Sized, diced
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 Turmeric powder
- 1 Chilli powder
- 1 Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp Jeera
- 1 tsp Rice Flour
- 1 tsp Besan (Gram Flour)
- Salt To taste
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into small pieces and immerse in water.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add jeera and allow it to splutter.
- Once the jeera starts spluttering, add the cut potatoes and saute for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Mix well and saute till the raw smell of turmeric powder disappears.
- Add garam masala powder and mix it well.
- Finally, add rice flour and besan and fry until the potatoes are fully cooked through.
- Now the potato fry is ready. Serve it hot along with the dish of your choice.
- Adding the besan and rice flour gives the potatoes a nice crunch when they are fried. That being said, this is optional.