PUDALANGAI PORICHA KOOTU
Pudalangai (snake guard) Poricha Kootu is a gravy like side dish made using snake guard. Like I have mentioned in my previous recipes, I have actively been trying to incorporate a wider range of vegetables in our diet. And Snake guard is a very good example of a vegetable that I have not cooked in a long time. So, to rectify that, I made this Pudalangai Poricha Kootu.
A lot of people lately don’t particularly like kootu in general, but in my opinion it is fantastic. It can be made with literally any vegetable. And it can be served with both rice, or chapathi. My daughters scrunch up their noses if I call it “kootu”. But little do they know, that when I make a kurma, the ingredients and methods are pretty much the same. So, of course, with the right recipe, any vegetable can be the star of a great dish.
Now, pudalangai is abundantly available. And very healthy, especially in the summer because of its high water content. As usual I have attached the link to the health benefits of the vegetable here, because it’s really important that we have a nutrient rich diet. If you are someone who can juice up snake guard, and drink it, that’s great. But if you are looking to eating somewhat just a little more healthily, this kootu is a great choice to do so.
Like most of my other recipes, this one too is fairly easy and simple to make. It takes only around half an hour for the preparation of the entire dish. Since, it takes very less effort to make this dish, it is perfect for a simple and quick lunch. I personally eat it with plain rice, and applam. And not to exaggerate, but it is the best.
PUDALANGAI PORICHA KOOTU
SNAKE GOURD DAL MIX
- 1/2 Kg Medium sized Snake Gourds Pudalangai in Tamil, Paduval in Hindi
- 1/2 Cup Toor Dal Thuvaram paruppu in Tamil- Washed and soaked for 20 minutes
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
FOR COCONUT PASTE
- 2 Tsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Urad dal Ulutham paruppu in Tamil
- 3 NOs Red Chilli
- 2 Tsp Rice
- 1/4 Cup Grated coconut
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Jeera
FOR PORICHA KOOTU
- 1/4 Tsp Asafoetida
- Salt As per taste
- 1 Tsp Sambar Powder
- Few Curry leaves for Garnishing
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard
- 1/2 Tsp Urad dal
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 No Red Chilly
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
PREPARING SNAKE GOURD DAL MIX
- Pressure cook snake gourd and toor dal with turmeric powder and salt for one or two whistles. Let it cool and keep it aside
PREPARING COCONUT PASTE
- Heat oil in a kadai
- Add urad dal, rice and red chillies and fry till the dal turns brown
- Add black pepper
- Add jeera and saute for a minute. Switch off the stove and allow it to cool
- In a blender take grated coconut and add the fried urad dal rice mixture
- Add sufficient water and blend it to a fine paste. keep it aside
PREPARING PORICHA KOOTU
- Heat kadai and add the boiled pudalangai toor dal mixture
- Add salt and asafoetida
- Add sambhar powder. Mix well and cook till the raw smell of sambhar powder goes off
- Add the coconut paste.
- Add water as per requirement to have a gravy consistency. Mix well and cook in low flame for 4 to 5 minutes
- In a laddle heat oil and add mustard seeds. Allow it to splutter. Add urad dal, red chilly and curry leaves
- Pour it on the poricha kootu
- Add curry leaves for garnishing. Your pudalangai poricha kootu is ready
- If you like to have a tangy taste add one or two tomatoes while preparing the snake gourd dal mix
- Instead of snake gourd you can prepare this kootu using broad beans or cucumber.