This recipe of tomato rice is quick and easy, it is also very tasty. While, we can make tomato rice in a lot of ways, my children like this method more because it has a very restaurant style taste to it.
Tomato Rice is primarily made with tomato as the star of the dish. Its a quick and easy recipe and is well liked by people of all ages.
Yield: 5 People
- 1 Cup Basmati Rice
- 1 Onion Large, finely chopped
- 1 Potato Diced
- Handful of Green Peas
- 2 Tomato Finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 Bay leaf
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon sticks
- 2 Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- A small piece of star anise
- 1 inch Ginger Finely chopped
- 2 Green Chilli Slit
- Curry Leaves Few
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- Salt To taste
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves Finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Mint leaves Finely chopped
- 2 Cups Water
- Take 1 cup basmati rice.
- Wash Basmati rice and soak for 20 minutes.
- Heat the kadai with 2 tbsp of ghee. Add the whole spices (bay leaf, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon sticks and star ani seed). Saute till they turn aromatic.
- Add chopped onions and saute till it becomes translucent.
- Add ginger, slit green chillies and curry leaves and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now add the diced vegetables. I have added potato and green peas. You can add any vegetable of your choice like cauliflower, beans, carrot and capsicum. See to it that the quantity is less. So stick with one or two vegetables.
- When the vegetables are half cooked add the finely chopped tomatoes.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt and mix it well.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves and cook for a minute.
- Add the soaked basmati rice after draining the water.
- Now, add 2 cups of water. Mix well and when the water starts boiling, simmer the stove and close the kadai with a lid. Cook for another ten minutes and check in between for water.
- Now, the tomato rice is ready. Serve it hot along with papad, raita or plain curd
- This can be prepared without any other vegetables too, but to make it a wholesome meal, adding vegetables is a healthier option.
- While the rice is boiling, check occasionally to see if there is enough water. If there isn’t, sprinkle a few tablespoons of water.
- Stir the rice, but don’t stir it too much. Basmati rice is known for its long beautiful grains, and over stirring will cause these grains to break.