VEGETABLE RAVA KHICHDI
I know a lot of people who will scrunch up their noses just at the mention of khichdi. However, I have also seen the same people eyeing khichdis served in restaurants because of the inviting colour and look. So here I have tried to create a rava khichdi that will definitely not make people make the “ew, khichdi” face. I personally know that is true. Because I am typing it with my daughter here and she has not rolled her eyes at me yet. She likes this Vegetable Rava Khichdi just as she likes Rava Kesari
Khichdi in my opinion is very versatile, it can be had for breakfast, or as dinner. It has a lot of vegetables so its very filling. But at the same time, it doesn’t load you up on fats.
I have used cabbage, carrot and peas in this Vegetable Rava khichdi recipe here. However, you can also use beans, potatoes, capsicum and any such vegetable of your choice. It will taste great and it is very healthy. Rava khichdi can be given to babies age 12 months plus after introducing basic vegetables.
Many people have tried to prepare restaurant style vegetable rava khichdi. Some prefer the taste just as in Saravana Bhavan. To check how Chef Damu prepares Rava khichdi click here
VEGETABLE RAVA KHICHDI
- 2 Cups Rava Semolina
- 2 Onions Medium Sized, Finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes Finely chopped
- 1/4 Green Peas
- 1 Carrot Finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup Cabbage Finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Chana dal
- 3 Green chilly
- 1 inch Ginger
- Few curry leaves
- 1 Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Salt To taste
- Oil As required
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Dry roast the rava until it starts getting fragrant.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Add mustard seeds.
- Once it splutters, add chana dal.
- Add green chillies, ginger and curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add onions and saute till it becomes translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook for two minutes.
- Now add carrot, green peas and cabbage and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and cook for a minute.
- Add 4 cups water and salt to the vegetable mixture and allow it to boil.
- In the meantime, in a different sauce pan, take 2-3 cups of water, bring it to a boil and set it aside.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add the rava to the vegetable mixture little by little and keep stirring the mixture such that no lumps are formed. Once this mixture thickens, add the already boiled water and keep stirring until the rava is fully cooked.
- Now add the ghee on top of the khichdi, stir it into the khichdi, and close the kadai and let it sit for atleast 2 minutes before taking it off the heat.
- Now your vegetable rava khichdi is ready. Serve it along with any side dish of your choice.
- While adding rava, make sure that the stove is on a low flame, as the rava tends to form lumps very quickly on very high heat.